Most ambitious MK ever, with the Xbox version following shortly.
Midway announced today that Mortal Kombat: Armageddon has shipped for the PS2, with the Xbox version to release shortly thereafter on October 16th. The final current generation installment boasts over 60 characters from the franchise's history, Create-A-Fighter and Create-A-Fatality modes, and several mini-games. You'll find the full press release below:
CHICAGO – October 9, 2006 – Midway Games Inc. (NYSE: MWY), a leading interactive entertainment industry publisher and developer, today announced that Mortal Kombat®: Armageddon™, the final chapter of the Mortal Kombat franchise for current generation gaming systems, has shipped for the PlayStation®2 computer entertainment system. Both the standard and Premium Edition packs are now available. Mortal Kombat: Armageddon for the Xbox® video game system from Microsoft is scheduled to be available Monday, October 16. In addition to Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, Midway is also scheduled to release both Ultimate Mortal Kombat® 3 for Xbox Live™ and Mortal Kombat®: Unchained™ for the PSP™ (PlayStation Portable) in November of this year.
"Mortal Kombat: Armageddon marks a significant milestone in the franchise as it's the final Mortal Kombat title to be released on current generation systems," said Steve Allison, chief marketing officer, Midway. "Mortal Kombat: Armageddon also contains gameplay features that series co–creator Ed Boon and team have always wanted to implement, such as create–a–fighter and create–a–fatality modes, and the option to choose from over 60 of the most popular Mortal Kombat fighters."
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon continues the tremendous success of the franchise which has generated over $1 billion in sales to date and is currently being backed by a multi–million dollar marketing campaign that includes the Mortal Kombat "Scream It" video contest hosted by GameSpot.com, a competition which allows fans to create unique and creative short films showcasing why they are the biggest franchise fan. Visit http://www.gamespot.com/contests/mkscream/index.html for more information and contest rules.
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon's Multi–Million Dollar Marketing Campaign includes:
- National television advertising campaign on multiple mainstream broadcast and cable networks such as ESPN, ESPN2, ESPNEWS, MTV2, SCI–FI, USA, Cartoon Network, Discovery Channel, BET, Comedy Central, SpikeTV and more
- Sponsorship of Total Non–Stop Action (TNA) Wrestling Pay–Per–View event on SpikeTV
- Participation in consumer oriented events & tours such as:
- Game Live's 2006 College Tour (40 colleges nationwide)
- Vibe Game Club featuring Yardfest (40 colleges & 5 malls nationwide)
- GameSpot's "Afterhours" event on October 14, 2006
- Aggressive online campaign to top–tier enthusiast and mainstream consumer sites including Gamespot.com, IGN.com, Google.com, and WWE.com, among others
- National pre–sell programs at select game retailers, where gamers can pre–order Mortal Kombat: Armageddon and receive a special edition Mortal Kombat poster or an animated cell signed by Ed Boon (*while supplies last)
- Dedicated web presence at www.mkarmageddon.com; download the latest new game play movies and assets at the official website of Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
For more information about Mortal Kombat: Armageddon, please visit www.midway.com.
About Mortal Kombat: Armageddon
Mortal Kombat: Armageddon –– the latest chapter in the award–winning video game fighting franchise. With the most complete roster ever, including every character from the Mortal Kombat fighting universe, revolutionary Create–A–Fighter and Create–A–Fatality modes, plus a new Konquest mode, Mortal Kombat: Armageddon promises to be the most complete, intensely lethal, fighting experience ever!
Add Your Comments!
Please keep your comments relevant to this news article. Promotional and inappropriate comments may be removed at our discretion.
You must enter a valid email address. You will be sent an email with a link you must click to confirm your comment. Your comment will not be visible until you do so. Your email address will be kept confidential, and will never be displayed or shared.